Do you really want to look ripped?
Do you want to get a bit big and but not heavy and fat?
The solution is simple, hard work in the gym plus low-calorie protein bars. They have protein, obviously, and very minimal caloric content.
Hence, they supply your muscles with the food they need, while simultaneously ensuring you don’t take too many calories and end up gaining unnecessary weight.
Apart from providing muscle food, these uniquely formulated bars are also routinely blended with other ingredients to provide energy, power and satiety, making them great for snacking on between workout sets, classes, or during work breaks.
In this article, we break down we show you the benefits of these products, their uniqueness, the five most popular supplements and where to buy them.
What Makes Low-calorie Unique?
It is quite obvious that the more you eat the more weight you gain.
However, it usually depends on what you eat.
Multiple researchers have proven that sugary foods and fatty foods/ processed foods often contribute to more weight gain than protein foods. (1)
This is why some clever manufacturers opted to find the right balance by making supplements that have low-calories but higher protein, to ensure that consumers could still get their daily recommended protein without having to consume more food and calories.
Recent studies have vindicated these manufacturers by proving that such supplements that are high in protein and low in calories are super effective at promoting fat loss and increasing lean body mass. (2)
3 Outstanding Health and Fitness Benefits
- Significant increase in lean body mass (LBM),
- Great fat loss especially when combined with high-intensity training,
- Enhanced energy and workout morale.
Difference Between Low-calorie Vs No Carb Protein Bars
Low-calorie protein bars have just fewer calories but often still contain some natural sugars to provide an energy boost.
No carb protein bars have no carbs and therefore provide zero energy, just protein for your muscles.
This makes the former the more preferable for pre-workouts, post-workout snacking and for general snacking when hungry.
While the latter (no carb bars) are only for those who strictly want to gain mass.
5 Most Popular Low-calorie Protein Bars on the Market Today
The best thing about this supplement is the fact that it is packed with protein (20 grams per bar) and has very minimal calories (180 calories) and only 2 grams of sugar.
So it basically gives you enough protein for muscle hypertrophy and only 180 calories to power you through an intensive workout session.
It is best-used post-workout but there is also no harm crunching this bar before you hit the gym.
Some of the other factors that make this low-calorie protein bar unique include its quality of ingredients and its fiber content.
In terms of ingredients, this Quest protein bar is made using a mix of high-quality whey protein isolates and other milk proteins.
This blend of protein guarantees users great quality protein that can be rapidly turned into muscles.
Additionally, the protein bar comes without excess fat, carbs and other compounds which bring about unhealthy effects.
Each bar is also full of dietary fiber (about 13 grams per bar).
The dietary fiber plays a couple of roles that will help you to achieve and maintain a lean body weight.
First, the fiber creates a feeling of satiety (makes you to feel full).
This reduces your food intake.
Second, it slows digestion, increasing the amount of protein absorbed into your system for muscle-building.
Lastly, it boosts metabolism, making you an efficient fat-burning machine!
- Main ingredients include whey protein, milk protein, almonds, corn fiber plus dried strawberry.
- Strawberry cheesecake flavor
- 20 grams per protein bar; enough to satisfy daily protein intake
- Low-calorie count (180 calories)
- Great for both pre-workout and post-workout consumption
- For muscle building and recovery
- Very little sugars and fats
- Those allergic to corn fiber can’t use it
- They are a bit dense for some
Now imagine caramel-infused chocolate, that’s the kind of flavor you will get from every protein bar from this company.
Apart from the great taste, you will most definitely appreciate the very noticeable energy boost, you will get from snacking on this bar before or during training.
It will definitely get you pumped up for more heavy lifting or treadmill running.
More importantly, this is a protein bar like the others. The bar has 20 grams of protein including soy protein, casein and other milk protein.
The mix of protein in this bar is said to be perfect for recovery and muscle-building. This supplement is also gluten-free.
Nevertheless, each bar contains only 230 calories, which is relatively low for most protein bars, but a bit more protein than that from the Quest bar above.
Even with this fact in mind, this is a good brand that you should definitely consider.
- Important ingredients include soy protein, casein, whey protein, peanuts, glycerin, chocolate, soy lecithin and sunflower oil
- Flavors include caramel fudge/ chocolate fudge/ Brownie crunch/ chunky peanut butter/ dark chocolate/ white chocolate and others
- Multiple exciting flavors
- Great protein content per bar (20 grams)
- Free of gluten
- With sufficient fiber to slow digestion
- Made with no GMO products
- Relatively low-calorie count (230 calories)
- Slightly higher calorie count than Quest bars
- Some say they are a bit dry (probably why you should buy online from verified sellers)
The most preferred one is the Nutz Over Chocolate flavor.
There are so many things that are positive about it.
For starters, it delivers a good dose of energy. Secondly, it also provides a good amount of protein (8 grams) and comes highly recommended among multiple fitness users.
And of course, we included it in this list because it is also a low-calorie protein bar.
- Quality non-GMO plant-based proteins ingredients including soy protein, brown rice syrup, peanut butter, sunflower oil, cocoa, and tocopherols (antioxidants).
- Flavors include Nutz over chocolate/ blueberry bliss/ Caramel walnut brownie/ Lemon zest
- Made specifically for the females (but can be taken by men too)
- Quality plant-based organic ingredients
- Portable portion
- No lingering aftertaste
- Provides an exciting energy boost
- Multiple soy ingredients (which some may not like)
- Relatively low protein content compared to the other bars reviewed here
The manufacturer uses only the best practices including 100 vegan, non-GMO, and plant-derived ingredients.
The bars are uniquely tasty and inject a good amount of energy with every bar.
Ingredients / Flavors
- High-grade organic ingredients including brown rice protein, chia seeds, tapioca, almonds, chocolate chips, and sunflower lecithin
- Flavors include chocolate chip cookie dough/ peanut butter/ peanut butter chocolate/ S’mores
- Seriously tasty protein bar
- Contains 10 grams of quality plant-based protein and only 5 grams of sugar
- Minimal caloric content (only 150 calories per bar)
- Great snack for pre-workouts and for a considerable energy boost
- Very clean: 100% vegan, organic, and non-GMO
- Made by an ethical manufacturer
- Contains almonds, which may cause allergic reactions to some
- Some say the texture is a bit grainy
They feature very unique and fancy packaging with the real protein food blends to give you premium quality protein without having to labor for hours preparing a high-protein meal.
Made only of natural ingredients and contains no soy, no gluten, no dairy, and no sugar.
This makes it the cleanest protein bar stack in our list and the best for those with allergies.
- The ingredients include 100% natural egg whites, raw almonds, dates and figs
- The stack contains two bars of each of the following flavors: Mint chocolate, Pumpkin spice, apple cinnamon, maple sea salt, coffee cacao, blueberry, coconut cacao, and chocolate sea salt.
- Very clean protein bars made of natural ingredients
- No gluten, no soy, no dairy, no casein, no synthetic sweeteners, and no grains
- 12 grams of egg and almond protein in every bar
- About 200 calories per bar
- Chewy bars in eight multiple flavors
- Some of you may be concerned by the fact it contains almonds
- They melt a bit more than others.
Where to Get Them Online?
These supplements can be ordered on many retail platforms such as GNC, Walmart or even Costco.
However, Amazon remains the king in the online retail space.
If you are in that tricky position where you want more muscle but less weight, you only need a great low-calorie protein product plus great workout schedule and you will be on your way to success.
We have listed some of the best brands in this article, choose one now, if you really want to become the ripped guy you want to be.
Remember, the faster you start doing things right, the faster you will get that physique you are gunning for!
Amazon Disclosure: “We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”